Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Summer Salad Finale With A Side Of Bacon



Last Sunday I got the chance to visit the Farmers Market for the first time in a month. That's what happens when I am forced to choose between oogling at veggies or shaking my booty at African Brazilian Dance class. Dancing is almost more addicting than food... almost. So why was this Sunday any different? Let's just say SOMEONE got an email from a farmer about a freshly slaughtered and extremely succulent pig whose parts would be sold at market. And perhaps BACON was one of those parts. Well booty shaking may trump squash, but Bacon blows butt thumping out the window. Especially bacon from an organically pampered and beautifully spoiled pig. If you aren't following I believe a reading of An ode to bacon is in order. This little piggy went to market and NEVER came home. MWAHAHAHA

Once I was there, I obviously wasn't leaving without picking up a few things. By the end my arms were filled with arugula, sprouts, heirloom tomatoes, onions, white peaches, yellow peaches, nectarines, plumbs, avocado, bagels, and of course, the fattiest whitest bacon I had ever layed eyes on.

I'm sure anyone living in the greater Los Angeles area remembers that day as the day we learned what it felt like to live inside a lizards mouth. And what did I decide to do that day? Yard work! Crazy? Perhaps, but would I have been inspired to create this deliciously refreshing salad? Perhaps not. Plus I had to make use of all the fresh veggies purchased only a few hours ago which were so tasty you hardly needed dressing. If this concoction can't cool you down, then nothing but an iced bath with Cruella Deville can. And with that I bid you a very fond farewell to grilling and hello to chilling.






A Cooling Farmer's Market Salad
1 avocado
1 heirloom tomato
1 cucumber
Sunflower sprouts
1/2 red onion finely chopped
arugula

Dressing
1 lemon
1 tbs white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
s&p


Whip up a vinaigrette by whisking a few teaspoons of vinegar, lemon juice, minced garlic and 1 tsp salt together. Continue whisking while you pour a slow stream of olive oil in (about 1/2 cup). Taste and adjust seasoning.

TIP: This is my favorite way to cut an avocado. When you spoon it out they are already nicely cubed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails