Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Simple Shrimp Tacos



These days I'm finding that I have less and less time to spend in the kitchen. More often than not I'm eating dinners in restaurants or making some pathetically quick meals at home (Trader Joe's frozen chicken dumplings -WHATS UP?!).

When I can't stand it anymore and all I want to do is cook and eat a fresh meal I do what any girl in my position would do- make shrimp tacos! These are my go to quick fix! Since the only thing you have to cook is the shrimp, this dish is easy, full of fresh ingredients and simply delicious. I usually just pull out whatever veggies are in my fridge and chop them up for toppings. Last week I topped the tacos with onions, arugula, avocado, salsa and heirloom tomatoes- YUM! When I'm feeling ambitious, I like to saute thin slices of onion and bell pepper with olive oil, salt and spicy seasoning to add some extra flavor!

The best part about tacos is that you can be as creative with them as you want. Just use this recipe for the shrimp and top them with whatever you like! Cheese, sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos, cabbage, beans, popcorn- hey I'm just saying, there is no limit!

Just a quick FYI- This is an awesome recipe for shrimp. No matter what dish you are making follow these directions for the shrimp and they will always be perfectly cooked.

Perfect Pan Seared Shrimp


. 2 tbs vegetable oil
. 1 1/2 lb (21-25) shrimp, peeled and deveined
. 1/4 tsp salt
.1/4 tsp pepper
. 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
. 1/8 tsp sugar
. 1/4 tsp garlic powder
.1/4 tsp onion powder
. 2 tsp lemon juice


1. Toss shrimp, salt, pepper, flakes, garlic, onion powder, and sugar in a bowl. Heat 1 tbs oil in a skillet over high heat till smoking.
2. Add 1/2 of shrimp to pan single layered and cook until spotty brown and edges turn pink, about 1 minute.
3. Remove pan from heat, using tongs flip each shrimp and let stand 30 seconds (all but center is opaque), put on plate.
4. Repeat with remaining shrimp then return 1st batch to skillet, add some lemon juice or whatever sauce you prefer, toss and cover skillet for 1-2 minutes.
Serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails